Skip to main content

Another Visit to Hell

hells_gate_imageGod throws his burning anger at the godless person (Job 20.23)
Another visit to Hell is due today. How many times have you heard someone say, “I'm living in Hell right now!” It may be a bad and seemingly eternal marriage, a hellish neighbor causing havoc or a terminal disease gnawing a worn body that induces this statement.

Life can be grueling, heartless and terrifying. It can betray, belittle and befuddle. There are no guarantees outside that of the Bible and Salvation in Jesus Christ. However, whatever the situation this life is not Hell.
You may have lost your parents, husband or girlfriend. Or you may not have lost them. You may have a demon of a boss or brother-in-law. You may be in a dead-end life but, it is not Hell.

Hell is beyond description. We've never seen or experienced anything like it. If a person jumped into the gaping mouth of an erupting volcano it wouldn't be as bad as falling headlong into Hell.

R.I.P doesn't exist in Hell. The dearly departed is shocked into vivid consciousness by the instant and overpowering smell of burning sulfur. Torment is overwhelming and immediate. Every nerve functions and is excruciatingly provoked.

Have you ever had a kidney stone? My wife says that the pain is worse than that of childbirth. I don’t know about that side of the story but I do know that it is the most torturesome pain I have ever experienced. I once awoke to a dull ache in my right back. As I came to my senses “KIDNEY STONE” flashed across my groggy brain. Drinking water suddenly became a priority.

As I walked toward the kitchen to get some water something horrible began to well up from the depths of my soul. It was a slowly encroaching agony. A quick thought seized me, “This pain isn’t going to go away. It is coming and I’m not sure how I am going to handle it.” I handled it by passing out and smacking my chin on the floor.

In Hell every nerve ending will feel the horrendous pain but it won’t be slow in coming and there will be no fainting. The rich man in Luke 16 found this out. The text says that he was, “in torments” (23).

If you’d like a minuscule taste of what Hell is going to be like try the following experiment. If you have a gas stove light one of the burners. Then stick just your baby finger over the flame for a minute. More than a minute and the nerves become unresponsive and you won’t get the full sensation. Remember, in Hell nerve endings never become unresponsive.

You are probably either laughing about now or you’re saying, “Mike! You are an IDIOT!” I admit that you’d have to be an IDIOT to try the above experiment. However, you may be playing Russian Roulette with something bigger than your baby finger, your soul. Without a saving faith in Jesus Christ the experiment may become a full fledged and hellish reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hospitality is a gift. It can also be a learned trait. Some people seem as if having strangers in their homes is normal and natural. Others have to fight against themselves in order to have friends over for a meal.  The author of Hebrews says that some have entertained angels when they thought that they were helping a stranger. That's weird. This statement brings questions to mind. Do angels eat? Of course, silly, they eat angel food cake!  Seriously, who in the Bible entertained angels by accident? Well, how about Abraham, Lot or Jacob? Granted, Jacob's treatment of the Angel of the Lord was questionable. But he did wrestle the night away, when in fact that angel could have dislocated Jacob's hip early in the match.  Abraham, read Sarah, prepared a big meal and Lot had to offer ...

Daughter and dog...

About six months ago we discovered that Ann was pregnant and were very excited for she and Jackson. We will have babies on this side and that of the Atlantic. We weren't prepared for that news and we we were even less prepared for the news that our little dog is pregnant. To date we have spent more on the dog than on Annie (don't tell her... Ann that is). Ann has yet to discover whether her baby is a boy or girl. Both ultrasound images were inconclusive. Though I did some further investigation of my own and was startled with what I found. to me it looks as if the baby is definitely a boy and has some resemblance from both sides of the family. Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

Music Conference

This is going to be a long post. Just a few days ago I was trembling in my boots as the First Baptist Church of Lake Orion's missions team was just hours from their arrival. My fears were many because I felt that the weight of success or failure of their visit would fall on me and I could see a tremendous failure looming. I knew that the team would come well prepared and ready to minister. I knew that there would not be a lack of talent and experience on their part. I knew that they would have great expectations I just didn't know how our people would react or if they would attend. My fear was that the attendance would be poor and that the team might go away frustrated. God be praised! God be glorified! God be worshipped! I highlight the previous paragraph because my Father deserves all of these and more. Let me explain. It is a wonderful story. The team, Jim and Hannah Watson, Faith Gaskell and Brenda Johnson, arrived safe and sound on Tuesday, July 19 though Brenda lost he...