Skip to main content

Happy New Year
Psalm 1

The New Year brings the possibility of being happy. We hope in the prospects that this unspoiled page offers. It seems a unique time for change. We stand at the beginning of something big, important and special. Tantalizing possibilities, adventures and solutions, that at other times during the year are invisible to us, seem do-able.  It is January 1.

The psalmist has some advice for us as we enter the New Year’s door. He sees a fork in our way. Two paths lie before us. One leads to destruction and one leads to happiness.

He starts and ends his short verse with a negative perspective. If we were to paraphrase the beginning and ending of this song it would actually look very positive, “Happy are they who don’t...die.”

However, to have a happy ending we have some responsibilities. All of which are sandwiched in the middle of this chorus. So, here is a type of ancient mathematical formula for a really Happy New Year no matter what the following twelve months hold.

If I don´t hang with perpetual evil doers, commune with unbelievers and take up their hypercritical perspective I am on the right path. However, there is more. I must passionately ponder the Word of God. When I make His Word mine it/ He changes every aspect of my being and change can be impossible without God being involved.

With God change can still be hard. However, if we can wrap our New Year’s day groggy minds around this concept it has all of the potential of making this one of the Happiest New Years ever. Want to try it? Follow me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hospitality is a gift. It can also be a learned trait. Some people seem as if having strangers in their homes is normal and natural. Others have to fight against themselves in order to have friends over for a meal.  The author of Hebrews says that some have entertained angels when they thought that they were helping a stranger. That's weird. This statement brings questions to mind. Do angels eat? Of course, silly, they eat angel food cake!  Seriously, who in the Bible entertained angels by accident? Well, how about Abraham, Lot or Jacob? Granted, Jacob's treatment of the Angel of the Lord was questionable. But he did wrestle the night away, when in fact that angel could have dislocated Jacob's hip early in the match.  Abraham, read Sarah, prepared a big meal and Lot had to offer ...

Daughter and dog...

About six months ago we discovered that Ann was pregnant and were very excited for she and Jackson. We will have babies on this side and that of the Atlantic. We weren't prepared for that news and we we were even less prepared for the news that our little dog is pregnant. To date we have spent more on the dog than on Annie (don't tell her... Ann that is). Ann has yet to discover whether her baby is a boy or girl. Both ultrasound images were inconclusive. Though I did some further investigation of my own and was startled with what I found. to me it looks as if the baby is definitely a boy and has some resemblance from both sides of the family. Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The Twenty Buck Challenge

Well I went and done it! That's bad grammar I know. But I done it anyway. We've been having a Bible study with Esmano and Genesie and their two kids Jennifer and Jadson, for about seven weeks now. This week Jennifer threw out a challenge. "Let's memorize a verse!" I thought that was a great idea. I told them that if they did memorize the verse that I would give them each an American coin. Esmano, their dad usually sits in on the study but he hasn't really been a part of it. When I mentioned the coin idea his eyes lit up a little. I then reached into my wallet and said, "If YOU memorize that verse I'll give you $20 bucks! His eyes really lit up then! Was it a good idea? I doubt it. No one has ever offered me money for memorizing verses. However, this will be the first verse that this man has ever memorized. If he does it. It is not a conventional way of doing memory work and it could cost me a bill for nothing. But if God uses this simple chall...