"Truly I tell you," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. (Mark 10:29,30)
I think about this passage as I reflect on my missionary career. Sometimes when I am feeling sorry for myself and sometimes when I am wondering if it has all been worth it.
When Jesus uttered these words he was talking to his men about the rich entering the kingdom. Peter had spoken up and said, "We have left all to follow you, what is in it for us? (my version).
John Piper said that Jesus was clearly using hyperbole here, because one hundred mothers would be a stretch.
So, what did Jesus mean?
I can speak from my situation and say that it seems like I have received hundreds of these things. We sure have moved a lot and stayed in a lot of homes when on deputation. Hundreds of brothers and sisters we've had and have. Hundreds of children? Wow. More like thousands. We worked in the projects where a lot of kids called us mom and dad.
Fields must represent work, right? If you are in ministry then you can identify fields with lives. I worked at GM as a painter for 22 years. My job eventually entailed various aspects of the paint shop and paint repair. On the mission field, "fields" would represent people's lives and needs. Each person might represent a work or field that needs to be cared for.
So, where do the persecutions come into the picture? I'm grateful to say that we've not experienced many yet. Though with the current climate, they may very well be on the way.
Jesus wanted us to know that following him had costs and benefits, and that the costs and recompenses were high.
Have you left all to follow him?
Comments
Post a Comment