Toward the end of John nine Jesus is taking the religious leaders to school. But they can't see it. Look at what he said. "For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind" (9:39). The Pharisees caught some of the the gist of the conversation and asked Jesus, "What? Are we blind too?" Jesus came back with this reply, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. (John 9:41)
Where are we going here Jesus? What is all this double talk? I know, it's the "Parable" thing. Jesus came to give sight to the blind and blindness to the "seeing". Those who thought that they were experts in the Law were blinded by what they thought that they had seen.
Has that ever happened to you? You saw something so real that you reacted accordingly. Only later to discover that what you saw with your own eyes was a figment of your imagination.
Years ago, I was in bed with my wife and I woke up seeing a huge spider on the wall over her head. It must have been six inches across including it's legs, it was a big hariy bad boy. I freaked out! For some reason my immediate reaction was to pinch my wife's leg! Of course she screamed and said, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING??" I told her, DON'T MOVE! THERE IS A SPIDER OVER YOUR HEAD!"
She looked up then looked back at me with her little miss know it all look and said in a snide voice," Go back to sleep! There is no spider up there!" I wanted to smack her. Of course there was a spider! I saw it with my own eyes....!!
As I looked again at the wall... there was no spider! What? Where did it go? What had happened? I saw that thing and it was huge! My sleepy dreamy mind had tricked me. It made me see something that didn't exist.
The problem with these religious people was that they HAD SEEN lots. They had been hounding Jesus for months. They had seen miracle after miracle. They had just seen and heard testimony from a cured blind man. Yet they didn't see that Jesus was the Messiah.
The same is true today. With all of history as testimony, people still can't see that Jesus was the Messiah, the Savior of the world. Is it for lack of proof? Or just plain blindness? Hard hearts tend to blind eyes, whether real eyes or spiritual eyes.
Do you see it? If not, let Jesus take you to school! He can heal your blind eyes.
Comments
Post a Comment