Skip to main content

The Beginnings

I grew up in a working-class family where owning a home was a sign of God’s blessing and care for his children. My dad once told me that I should do what he had done, which was to buy a house for my future family. Dad had served in World War 2, and when he got back to our tiny village of Oxford, Michigan, he purchased 66 East Burdick Street for $8,000. That was in 1948. That same money today would be nearly $90,000. Dad’s house payment, if I remember correctly, was $60 bucks a month. He told me that he doubled his payments so that he could pay off his house sooner. 

As I heard him talk about this real estate deal, I didn't think about it too much because it sounded unrealistic. To my 14-year-old mind, I couldn’t imagine how it would be so hard to double a $60 buck a month house payment. His scenario was like when he told me that he could buy ten bags of groceries for 10 dollars in his early married days (the 1930s). Ridiculous. 


Ridiculous or not, that was to be my goal; not the "buying groceries" part but the "working and saving money to buy a house" part.“ "A house is a good investment,” they said. That was the mentality in my circles. If you bought a house you were investing in your future. You were being a good husband and Christian. Many people rented their homes but they were not being circumspect in the provision for their families.


At 16, when I got my driver's license, my older brother, out of the blue, said to me, "What are you going to do now that you have your license? Drive around town with fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror of your car, looking cool and trying to pick up girls?" I thought that was a rather brutal way of starting a conversation, and I said, "I don’t know, why do you ask?" I had no idea what I was going to be doing with my new license. I knew that it wouldn't be the fuzzy dice thing because I didn't even have a car.


My brother, who was twenty years older than me, hadn't lived at home in the years, so I don't even remember why we were together on this occasion, but there we were. Murray blurted out, "Why don't you invest in real estate?" That was random.  


At that moment, I didn't know that my big brother had recently gotten his real estate license, and I was to be his first attempt at a sale. If I was his guinea pig, he must have been really desperate because I don't believe that I had more than twelve hundred dollars to my name at the time. When I informed him of this minor inconvenience, he quickly said, “Why don't you go in haves with your friend Dan?”


I cannot remember my brother explaining the benefits of owning rental property, but he must have done so because this conversation made me think about this new possibility. As I said, I didn’t have much money at the time, so I talked to Dan and he liked the idea. We decided that we’d pool our funds and would put down $2,400 on an old duplex. It was 6255 Monrovia St in Waterford, MI. The year was 1973.


That first rental brought in a total of just over $330 a month. It was a sizeable turn-of-the-century house that had a two-bedroom apartment downstairs and a one-bedroom upstairs. It was in a newer subdivision and had a nice-sized backyard and a detached two-car garage. We didn't know anything about property managers at the time. So, we self-managed this behemoth. We had to put a roof on the place, deal with cranky tenants who always seemed to have problems that they couldn't fix, and in the end our dads, yes, our two old dads, dug a septic system. I think that we lost more money than we earned. However, something did happen when we sold the place. We made a small profit! That should have been a hint.


With the money I earned on that sale in 1975, I invested in a tiny two-bedroom one-bathroom place in Pontiac, on Putnam Ave. It was my future father-in-law’s childhood home. His mother had recently died and dad wanted to sell it to me for $13,000. We did a land contract and I paid $100 a month on that contract. It was Dawn and my first house.


A house is NOT a home unless it is built on a good foundation. In our experience we have discovered that God's Word and the principles found in that book are the best foundation. Jesus gave an illustration of this fact in Matthew 7 at the end of his longest recorded sermon. There he said this,


Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

You will notice that "hearing and doing" what Jesus said are of the utmost importance when dealing with the structure of your house (read "life"). We can think that we have it all together but if what we are doing doesn't follow what Jesus taught, then we are headed for ruin. We might accumulate a great portfolio and be making a lot of passive income each month, but if we don't have peace with God, our wealth is worthless. Think about this aspect and include Jesus Christ in your team. He's not an "add-on" member, he must be your focus.

Until tomorrow!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."