Skip to main content

Avoiding Sinners

The question was raised after my message last night on Psalm 1, "Pastor, how can we avoid sinners" (like the psalm mentions v.1)?

Of course the answer is, "We can't, nor are we suppose to". We must avoid intimate relationships with them, like marriage, exclusive friendships, joint business ventures, however, we are in the world. We are to walk that very distinct line between shunning sinners and "loving our neighbor".

How can we do this? Just like Jesus did. He was accused of hanging with the wrong crowd, yet His purpose in that behavior was, in His own words, "I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Matthew 9:13b).

Jesus purpose in life was to accomplish the will of the Father and through that will glorify Him. By spending time with "sinners" and demonstrating God's love, He was able to affect them.

Our goal must be the same. We are to live for God's glory while affecting others by doing God's will. In our day-to-day life we walk with sinners as sinners saved by grace. While doing God's will we will naturally affect others and be like that tree mentioned in Psalm 1, "...bringing forth its fruit in its season." It is a natural process that can only be accomplished as we live, work, and walk, among men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hospitality is a gift. It can also be a learned trait. Some people seem as if having strangers in their homes is normal and natural. Others have to fight against themselves in order to have friends over for a meal.  The author of Hebrews says that some have entertained angels when they thought that they were helping a stranger. That's weird. This statement brings questions to mind. Do angels eat? Of course, silly, they eat angel food cake!  Seriously, who in the Bible entertained angels by accident? Well, how about Abraham, Lot or Jacob? Granted, Jacob's treatment of the Angel of the Lord was questionable. But he did wrestle the night away, when in fact that angel could have dislocated Jacob's hip early in the match.  Abraham, read Sarah, prepared a big meal and Lot had to offer ...

Daughter and dog...

About six months ago we discovered that Ann was pregnant and were very excited for she and Jackson. We will have babies on this side and that of the Atlantic. We weren't prepared for that news and we we were even less prepared for the news that our little dog is pregnant. To date we have spent more on the dog than on Annie (don't tell her... Ann that is). Ann has yet to discover whether her baby is a boy or girl. Both ultrasound images were inconclusive. Though I did some further investigation of my own and was startled with what I found. to me it looks as if the baby is definitely a boy and has some resemblance from both sides of the family. Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The Twenty Buck Challenge

Well I went and done it! That's bad grammar I know. But I done it anyway. We've been having a Bible study with Esmano and Genesie and their two kids Jennifer and Jadson, for about seven weeks now. This week Jennifer threw out a challenge. "Let's memorize a verse!" I thought that was a great idea. I told them that if they did memorize the verse that I would give them each an American coin. Esmano, their dad usually sits in on the study but he hasn't really been a part of it. When I mentioned the coin idea his eyes lit up a little. I then reached into my wallet and said, "If YOU memorize that verse I'll give you $20 bucks! His eyes really lit up then! Was it a good idea? I doubt it. No one has ever offered me money for memorizing verses. However, this will be the first verse that this man has ever memorized. If he does it. It is not a conventional way of doing memory work and it could cost me a bill for nothing. But if God uses this simple chall...