Skip to main content

December 4, 2006

Raining like crazy and 88 degrees on December 4! Must be Sorocaba, São Paulo, Brazil. The rain is coming down so hard I can bearly hear myself think. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

It is hard to believe that five years ago yesterday we had our first Sunday morning service at Hope Baptist Church; with a grand total of nobody (but the seven members of our team) there. Talk about a downer. That was a difficult pill for me to swallow and had me questioning my call as a missionary.

Yesterday in the celebration of that humble beginning we had 55 present and were encouraged with several people who have been demonstrating faithfulness over the past few weeks. I know that faithfulness is a quality that takes a long time to demonstrate, but we are encouraged nonetheless. We also had three teens celebrating their graduation from junior and high school.

Speaking of graduation, we were able to be present at Juliana’s graduation from Bible College. The 22 grads represented the largest graduating class in the colleges twenty-six years. We are so proud of Ju. Her almost insurmountable difficulties made this an even sweeter moment. We rejoiced in God’s goodness and help that brought her to this point in her life.

We gave her a ride back to Sorocaba on Saturday. It was heart breaking to realize that we were going to drop her off at “home”, where no one would be waiting to hear how her trip went, let alone ask how graduation went, or tell her how proud they were of her accomplishments. But God knows. Pray for her.

Alessandra was at youth group on Saturday! That was a blessing. She had been missing since our return and was in the world. Pray for her as she tries to make a comeback.

Comments

  1. Please pass on my congrats to Juliana.
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hospitality is a gift. It can also be a learned trait. Some people seem as if having strangers in their homes is normal and natural. Others have to fight against themselves in order to have friends over for a meal.  The author of Hebrews says that some have entertained angels when they thought that they were helping a stranger. That's weird. This statement brings questions to mind. Do angels eat? Of course, silly, they eat angel food cake!  Seriously, who in the Bible entertained angels by accident? Well, how about Abraham, Lot or Jacob? Granted, Jacob's treatment of the Angel of the Lord was questionable. But he did wrestle the night away, when in fact that angel could have dislocated Jacob's hip early in the match.  Abraham, read Sarah, prepared a big meal and Lot had to offer ...

Daughter and dog...

About six months ago we discovered that Ann was pregnant and were very excited for she and Jackson. We will have babies on this side and that of the Atlantic. We weren't prepared for that news and we we were even less prepared for the news that our little dog is pregnant. To date we have spent more on the dog than on Annie (don't tell her... Ann that is). Ann has yet to discover whether her baby is a boy or girl. Both ultrasound images were inconclusive. Though I did some further investigation of my own and was startled with what I found. to me it looks as if the baby is definitely a boy and has some resemblance from both sides of the family. Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The Twenty Buck Challenge

Well I went and done it! That's bad grammar I know. But I done it anyway. We've been having a Bible study with Esmano and Genesie and their two kids Jennifer and Jadson, for about seven weeks now. This week Jennifer threw out a challenge. "Let's memorize a verse!" I thought that was a great idea. I told them that if they did memorize the verse that I would give them each an American coin. Esmano, their dad usually sits in on the study but he hasn't really been a part of it. When I mentioned the coin idea his eyes lit up a little. I then reached into my wallet and said, "If YOU memorize that verse I'll give you $20 bucks! His eyes really lit up then! Was it a good idea? I doubt it. No one has ever offered me money for memorizing verses. However, this will be the first verse that this man has ever memorized. If he does it. It is not a conventional way of doing memory work and it could cost me a bill for nothing. But if God uses this simple chall...