Skip to main content

What! Abby's 16? Impossible...


Do you remember when you were growing up and some long lost relative would visit your parents; someone who hadn't seen you in "forever" saying "I can't believe that you are THAT old! Or it was the proverbial, "Why, I remember you when you were just a baby!" That's the way that I felt yesterday as Abby turned sweet sixteen.

At times, in my minds eye, I try to imagine what things will be like when I'm ____ years old and my kids and grand kids are _______ years old. I can remember doing that when Abby was only three and we made our first visit to Brazil in 1994. The future was ominous then; not necessarily in a bad way but full of as yet unrealized adventures and blessings.

Now, Abby's sixteenth year is in the history books (though she just "turned" sixteen, she is in reality actually beginning her seventeenth year, I knew you knew that)and she, mom, and I have been in ministry here in Brazil for a little over ten years. We have been a part of two church plants and have had the opportunity of sharing the Gospel with hundreds of Brazilians.

Sixteen years is Abby's entire life but in reality it is such a short time isn't it. As Sheba's puppies were being born on Friday I said to Abby, when these puppies are sixteen, you will be thirty-two! Wow... I wonder what I'll be doing in sixteen years?

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday Abby! Hope you didn't get pelted by too many eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tanya and Diki for the birthday greetings. Tanya, she didn't get any eggs :-(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hospitality is a gift. It can also be a learned trait. Some people seem as if having strangers in their homes is normal and natural. Others have to fight against themselves in order to have friends over for a meal.  The author of Hebrews says that some have entertained angels when they thought that they were helping a stranger. That's weird. This statement brings questions to mind. Do angels eat? Of course, silly, they eat angel food cake!  Seriously, who in the Bible entertained angels by accident? Well, how about Abraham, Lot or Jacob? Granted, Jacob's treatment of the Angel of the Lord was questionable. But he did wrestle the night away, when in fact that angel could have dislocated Jacob's hip early in the match.  Abraham, read Sarah, prepared a big meal and Lot had to offer ...

Daughter and dog...

About six months ago we discovered that Ann was pregnant and were very excited for she and Jackson. We will have babies on this side and that of the Atlantic. We weren't prepared for that news and we we were even less prepared for the news that our little dog is pregnant. To date we have spent more on the dog than on Annie (don't tell her... Ann that is). Ann has yet to discover whether her baby is a boy or girl. Both ultrasound images were inconclusive. Though I did some further investigation of my own and was startled with what I found. to me it looks as if the baby is definitely a boy and has some resemblance from both sides of the family. Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The Twenty Buck Challenge

Well I went and done it! That's bad grammar I know. But I done it anyway. We've been having a Bible study with Esmano and Genesie and their two kids Jennifer and Jadson, for about seven weeks now. This week Jennifer threw out a challenge. "Let's memorize a verse!" I thought that was a great idea. I told them that if they did memorize the verse that I would give them each an American coin. Esmano, their dad usually sits in on the study but he hasn't really been a part of it. When I mentioned the coin idea his eyes lit up a little. I then reached into my wallet and said, "If YOU memorize that verse I'll give you $20 bucks! His eyes really lit up then! Was it a good idea? I doubt it. No one has ever offered me money for memorizing verses. However, this will be the first verse that this man has ever memorized. If he does it. It is not a conventional way of doing memory work and it could cost me a bill for nothing. But if God uses this simple chall...