Skip to main content

Chapter Two!

And now for another chapter of the “Something happened on the way to the orphanage!” story. As I wrote that account I marvelled and wondered at the intricacies of God plan.
You might not have read that update. It came on April 3. If not I'll refresh your memory but let me warn you it gets a bit complicated so you might want to check your other e-mails first and come back to it. Anyway, here goes...
Ana Luiza, who was taken from her birth mother after seven years of abuse, and who, instead of going to the orphanage, was court ordered sent to her distant and unknown relatives in Sorocaba, and who, after four years of living just a few blocks away, began coming to our church because she was invited by a neighbor to our VBS in January. Remember the story? The neighbor was the boy who wanted to fly his kite in our parking lot just before our VBS was to begin.
[side note - you can skip this paragraph if you are already lost at this point. But, this detail could have short circuited the rest of this adventure if Grandma had been scared off.] I didn't tell you what that boy's grandmother saw as she approached me that Thursday afternoon in January! I looked like a stinking, filthy, old, pirate! Our theme being Adventure at Sea I was dressing the part. I had on old, ripped up, knee length, cut off, bluejeans; a ripped up t-shirt, old flip flops, a blue doo rag, and a painted on five-o-clock shadow (still can't grow my own).
Not necessarily the type of person that one would normally approach to ask questions, especially with small children involved. However, she did. And you will remember that a near slip of my tongue almost turned that boy away. However, he came to our VBS and on his second day invited Ana Luiza.
Now jump from January to April. The second week into our Saturday kid's club (April 6) Ana comes for the first time. My lesson was, “Where we got our Bible”, and all of the kids listened attentively to my short talk.
[Side note 2, experienced children's workers can skip this paragraph too.] As some of you know when working with kids it can be “easy to get them to make decisions for Christ”. Children think that teachers knows everything and will readily accept almost any concept a teacher presents, often without question. Thus the challenge of allowing the Holy Spirit, and not Mike Jewell, to convince them of their spiritual needs.
After the lesson I tell the children that if they have questions about salvation that they can raise their hand and I will pray for them. And, if they want to talk to any leader we would love to show them what the Bible has to say about becoming a part of God's family. Only one child raises their hand and it wasn't Ana.
Now jump forward to April 29 a cold, dark, dreary, rainy, Tuesday night. One of those nights that you would just as soon stay home and not make any visits. But, Dawn and I head out on foot to make one which, in the end, doesn't work out because we can't find an address.
As we head home I say, “I know why this visit didn't work, it is because we forgot to ask God's blessing, 'Father help us to be able to share Christ with someone on the way home.'” Just then Ben drives up and asks if we want a ride, Dawn accepts and I, for some reason, don't. So there I am walking home alone in the rain thinking, “Maybe I'll meet a street person who will come to Christ and end up going to seminary!” It doesn't happen.
However, as I'm approaching our street I pass the bakery, Ana Luiza's parent's bakery. I think, “I should go in and talk to Paulo again (Ana's dad).” Then I start to argue with that thought, “You just talked with him the other day. He doesn't want to talk to you again!”, “No, but you should go in!”, “I'm not going in!”, “But, you should!” (You could almost imagine the little devil and angel arguing on my two shoulders). I reluctantly put an end to that little debate and enter the bakery.
To my surprise Ana is there and comes to greet me. I remind her to invite her mother to our Mother's Day Tea, and also about our May Day (May 1) church picnic. “What picnic?” She had missed that announcement and became excited about the possibility of spending the day with some of the kids from the church.
Now jump forward two days to May 1 (which, by the way, would have been my parents 78th wedding anniversary!) It's picnic day. It is threatening rain and windy. But, in my prayer time that morning I had asked the Lord to have Ana come to the picnic and to help me to be able to share with her about her need for Christ. She did come and as the day progressed that opportunity presented itself as we sat (of all places) on the monkey bars with the picnic going on all around us! She took a picture of me with my digital camera and as she did she said, “It looks like you are thinking about life” (That my reading friend is an open door!). My reply, “I am. And, can I ask you a question about your life?”, “Sure.”, “Have you ever accepted Christ as your Savior?”, “Yes!”, “You did?”, “WHERE? WHEN?”, “The second week of club.”, “What did you do?”, “I did what you said and gave my life to Jesus!” As I praised the Lord I almost jumped off that play set (which would have been fatal)!
Again did you notice the intricate detail of Our Father's plan? I was amazed that He had used me in a small way as a part of that plan for Ana's life. I believe that soon we will be hearing of Ana's parents, Paulo and Bartira's salvation too. Could it happen? Of course! Isaiah put it this way, “ Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear.” (59:1) Translation, our Father is a very detailed and omnipotent God. He can do it! Let's pray and ask Him for it!

Comments

  1. That is an awesome story. Also, gotta say, the doo rag does something for ya.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."