Skip to main content

Father's Day

Father's Day falls the second Sunday of the month of august in Brazil (didn't I say this last year?). So, our evangelistic outreach event was a men and boy's banquet. Donna, Dani, and our ladies put on a luscious spread and Donna had some great ideas for games as well. We had thirty men present with several visitors. It was, bar none, our best Father's Day to date.

I read a story that I had written last year for Father's Day (I had written it as one of my updates). It told my story, or rather the history of my story which began in 1904 with the marriage of my paternal grandparents.

The essence of the story was that I am being blessed today because of wise and important decisions that my father made in his youth and through out his life. He accepted Christ, and was faithful in serving his Savior his entire life. I asked the men this question, “In fifty years will your sons be saying about you, like I am about my dad, 'I am blessed!'”

I was excited that Jose (Eliana's husband) was there and brought the boys: Eduardo, Edson, and Tadeu. Each of whom had a part in a small play that Dani had put together. There were several great comments after the event. In fact one of our ladies, Francisca, said that her husband Marcio, who isn't saved and really doesn't like church, told her that he would be back home by in about an hour and a half. But he didn't get home till nearly 10:30. “He really liked it!” she said excitedly.(Below the guys flying their paper airplanes)

Earlier on Saturday at Bible Club Carlinhos and Mara again took the lead in music and giving the story. We had just seven kids this week but it was interesting because Eliana came. When I asked her if the kids could come to club she said, “I'm still thinking about it (with a pouty look on her face)...!” And my response was “Yeah... but you know that you are going to let them, don't you. And... why don't you come too!” She said, “I'm too old.” and laughed. But she came!

She stood through the whole story but listened intently. She looked at me several times as something was mentioned about salvation. At one point in the story the main character said, “Why wouldn't my parents want me to accept Jesus as my Savior when it seems so easy to do?” As Eliana looked at me I mouthed the words, “It is easy!” She just smiled. During game time she stayed to help Mara prepare the evening meal for the men. I think that soon now she is going to make a decision to accept Jesus Christ.

To put the icing on the cake Jose and Eliana and family came to church again on Sunday night! So all included we had eleven visitors. I had baked two cakes to go with our coffee after the evening service (arent you impressed) and everyone loved them until I told them that I had baked them of course.

Monday, I did some moving and my legs feel like they are ready to fall off. The house is getting emptier and emptier and is echoing at the slightest noise. I think we have mice! Oh and that reminds me... the snake was NOT a Coral but a Scarlet which are not poisonous. The zoo accept it as a donation.

As the Olympics progress it is neat being in a foreign country. I have two countries to choose from. When Brazil plays I cheer. When the USA plays I cheer. But when the rubber meets the road and Brazil meets the USA, it's USA ALL THE WAY!!!! Go DREAM TEAM (or whatever you are calling yourselves. I never thought that I would be cheering for Kobie, Dwayne, and LaBron, O MY!!!).

Three weeks from today I should be at the airport. Yikes, that sounds too close and I have a ton to do. So, don't forget to keep me in your prayers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."