Skip to main content

Nothing To Write About.

It has been awhile since my last update and I know that for some of you that has been a nice respite, for others, who actually like getting something now and then, I know that it has been quite a vacuum of information.

It seems that lately there has been nothing to write about. I can't call it writer's cramp because I don't write often enough to get a cramp. In fact I admire the writers who have a daily deadline and always seem to come through with substantive material. My writing once a week, however, is nothing like that. I believe that a weekly update is more than sufficient to satisfy the slightest inkling of interest from any caring soul and too much for those who consider my notes as spam.

But lately... life has been a bit drab. Snow up to the nostrils doesn't help, though my family is liking the snow this year. Bone chilling temperatures are not much of an incentive to creative writing either. It seems to freeze already atrophying brain cells into a sluggish stupor.

When we are on the field there is never a paucity of things to write about. And as I thought about the past few weeks it became clear that God is still very active in my life and that I had better share a bit of what He has been up to.

About a month ago I was in the church office talking to the secretary on Wednesday night just before prayer meeting. As we chatted a young man walked in and, in very broken English, said "I am here for the ESL class."

ESL, as many of you know, is English as a Second Language. I was surprised to hear that we had ESL at FBC but there seems to always be something going on that I am not aware of and I thought to my self, "How cool! That is a ministry that I would like to get involved with."

But when the secretary followed up the young man's inquiry with, "I think that you want Lake Orion School. This is a church." I knew that the ESL was not presently an option at FBC.

I noticed a startled look on the young man's face as he said, "Where is the school? I need to be there by 7:30!" By this time there were several people in the office and as we began to try and tell him how to find the High School it became clear to me that we were confusing the poor soul rather than helping him. So, I offered to take him to the school, or at least lead him there.

He followed close behind my car as one that didn't want to get lost, even though the journey was a short one. We entered the cavernous school and looked for signs of life but there didn't seem to be any. After what seemed like a mile walk and a bit of small talk we found the class room. He thanked me for my help and I left him there in the hall.

As I made my way back to the exit it dawned on me that, maybe, just maybe (I'm being facetious) this had been a God ordained encounter. In fact, I thought, I may not have helped this young man in the way that God had wanted me to. I heard my own voice say, "I need to give him my number! Go, back and give him your number!"

As I hurried back, praying that he would still be in the hall and doubting it every step of the way, I thought about how often I let seeming "chance encounters" like this one go unaltered by my heavenly relationship. As I rounded the final turn in the seemingly endless corridors I praised the Lord that he was still outside the classroom. I quickly gave him my number and said, "If you need conversational English I am available." Again, he thanked me and that was that.

The week went by and no call came. But then came Saturday. It was the Saturday of the Big Snow storm. "Which one? you ask, well I can't exactly remember but it was big enough that for the first time in a long time pastor canceled our Adult Bible Fellowships for the following morning. It was exactly that evening (Saturday) that I got a call. In very broken English I heard, "I want to come to your church tomorrow." I was ecstatic! And even though in the end he didn't show up that Sunday the contact had been a success and I was sure that there would be further calls.

Here we are a month later and there have been several such calls and encounters. He has come to church five or six times and I have been able to introduce him to several good friends at church who share an interest in his French and his spiritual need. One of those friends has had a good long conversation and we are seeing doors of opportunity opening even more.

Pray for my friend Landry. I would love to see his Stateside visit be the one that helps him to encounter the Savior! Now that would be something to write about!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."