Skip to main content

Spirited Conversation with a Spiritist

Oh NO... I feel a trend coming on. Cutesy titles (if you remember my last one, congratulations).

Anyway, I went downtown yesterday afternoon to get a tiny screwdriver. I was in the middle of taking my Sony 150, 8 mp digital camera apart. I had preserved it's life during my trip to the waterfalls. Well, almost preserved it anyway. During my last half hour there I had stuck it in my shorts pocket. That was just before I stepped into a BIG hole in the riverbed and soaked that very same pocket!

Anyway as I was doing open heart surgery on my Sony I came to a minuscule screw that I thought needed to be remove. It was that tiny tool that lead me to an hour long talk with a Spiritist. This particular Spiritist is my coworker's (Alexandre) father who happens to own a tool store in town.

Yesterday was a blistering 107 and as I made the 20 minute trip downtown I wondered if I wouldn't melt before I found my "Barbie" screwdriver. On a lark I thought that I would visit Alexandre's dad's store. As we small talked for a few minutes the first Narnia movie came into the conversation. My friend thought that it was interesting how that Asland had to die to pay the witch's ransom. It was a perfect lead-in to the Gospel, so I let him have it both barrels! It was my first time sharing with him.

Turns out that he has heard it ALL before and cares nothing whatsoever for the Gospel, the Bible, Jehovah or church. As he rambled on I learned some very interesting facts about the United States: We have alien remains at Area 54 (like that is a new idea). We can't return to the moon because we were warned NOT to come back by it's inhabitants! We actually have communicated with extra terrestrials (through, of all mediators, the Roman Catholic Church).

His was, what seemed to me, a twisted rambling of oddities that left me wondering how on earth he makes sense of his "Religious" views. We both stepped on each other's toes pretty hard for the next 50 minutes. One of my consolations was that the Holy Spirit, though He has no toes, can cause much more discomfort in other's spiritual toes than I can. Both my friend (whose name escapes me) and Martins the JW need desperate help that only the Holy Spirit of the Living God can deliver.

It was later that evening that Alexandre shared his frustration about his father with me. He told me that there was a point in his seminary training that he told God, "If killing me will help my parents come to You, I am willing for that to happen!" Please pray for the miracle of salvation in both Ale's dad and his mom's lives. Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."