Skip to main content

Spirited Conversation with a Spiritist

Oh NO... I feel a trend coming on. Cutesy titles (if you remember my last one, congratulations).

Anyway, I went downtown yesterday afternoon to get a tiny screwdriver. I was in the middle of taking my Sony 150, 8 mp digital camera apart. I had preserved it's life during my trip to the waterfalls. Well, almost preserved it anyway. During my last half hour there I had stuck it in my shorts pocket. That was just before I stepped into a BIG hole in the riverbed and soaked that very same pocket!

Anyway as I was doing open heart surgery on my Sony I came to a minuscule screw that I thought needed to be remove. It was that tiny tool that lead me to an hour long talk with a Spiritist. This particular Spiritist is my coworker's (Alexandre) father who happens to own a tool store in town.

Yesterday was a blistering 107 and as I made the 20 minute trip downtown I wondered if I wouldn't melt before I found my "Barbie" screwdriver. On a lark I thought that I would visit Alexandre's dad's store. As we small talked for a few minutes the first Narnia movie came into the conversation. My friend thought that it was interesting how that Asland had to die to pay the witch's ransom. It was a perfect lead-in to the Gospel, so I let him have it both barrels! It was my first time sharing with him.

Turns out that he has heard it ALL before and cares nothing whatsoever for the Gospel, the Bible, Jehovah or church. As he rambled on I learned some very interesting facts about the United States: We have alien remains at Area 54 (like that is a new idea). We can't return to the moon because we were warned NOT to come back by it's inhabitants! We actually have communicated with extra terrestrials (through, of all mediators, the Roman Catholic Church).

His was, what seemed to me, a twisted rambling of oddities that left me wondering how on earth he makes sense of his "Religious" views. We both stepped on each other's toes pretty hard for the next 50 minutes. One of my consolations was that the Holy Spirit, though He has no toes, can cause much more discomfort in other's spiritual toes than I can. Both my friend (whose name escapes me) and Martins the JW need desperate help that only the Holy Spirit of the Living God can deliver.

It was later that evening that Alexandre shared his frustration about his father with me. He told me that there was a point in his seminary training that he told God, "If killing me will help my parents come to You, I am willing for that to happen!" Please pray for the miracle of salvation in both Ale's dad and his mom's lives. Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hospitality is a gift. It can also be a learned trait. Some people seem as if having strangers in their homes is normal and natural. Others have to fight against themselves in order to have friends over for a meal.  The author of Hebrews says that some have entertained angels when they thought that they were helping a stranger. That's weird. This statement brings questions to mind. Do angels eat? Of course, silly, they eat angel food cake!  Seriously, who in the Bible entertained angels by accident? Well, how about Abraham, Lot or Jacob? Granted, Jacob's treatment of the Angel of the Lord was questionable. But he did wrestle the night away, when in fact that angel could have dislocated Jacob's hip early in the match.  Abraham, read Sarah, prepared a big meal and Lot had to offer ...

Daughter and dog...

About six months ago we discovered that Ann was pregnant and were very excited for she and Jackson. We will have babies on this side and that of the Atlantic. We weren't prepared for that news and we we were even less prepared for the news that our little dog is pregnant. To date we have spent more on the dog than on Annie (don't tell her... Ann that is). Ann has yet to discover whether her baby is a boy or girl. Both ultrasound images were inconclusive. Though I did some further investigation of my own and was startled with what I found. to me it looks as if the baby is definitely a boy and has some resemblance from both sides of the family. Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The Twenty Buck Challenge

Well I went and done it! That's bad grammar I know. But I done it anyway. We've been having a Bible study with Esmano and Genesie and their two kids Jennifer and Jadson, for about seven weeks now. This week Jennifer threw out a challenge. "Let's memorize a verse!" I thought that was a great idea. I told them that if they did memorize the verse that I would give them each an American coin. Esmano, their dad usually sits in on the study but he hasn't really been a part of it. When I mentioned the coin idea his eyes lit up a little. I then reached into my wallet and said, "If YOU memorize that verse I'll give you $20 bucks! His eyes really lit up then! Was it a good idea? I doubt it. No one has ever offered me money for memorizing verses. However, this will be the first verse that this man has ever memorized. If he does it. It is not a conventional way of doing memory work and it could cost me a bill for nothing. But if God uses this simple chall...