Skip to main content

Aliens!

disney-winnie-the-pooh-backpack-blueNow therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God.  (Ephesians 2:19)

Have you ever felt like an Alien? I’m not talking Marvin the Martian or even “My Favorite Martin” for those of you who go back that far. I’m talking about a complete stranger?

I think that one of the weirdest situations for me came in the good old U.S. of A. as I walked down Broadway Ave. in downtown Manhattan in a  pair of worn jeans, a hoodie and a Winnie the Pooh backpack as I headed toward Ground Zero.

It was a miserable February in 2004 and I had come to aid my sister and brother-in-law with my ailing mother. That was “ailing” and NOT “alien” mother. I know what you are thinking.

Anyway, there I was trudging from Penn Station near Madison Square Garden toward Ground Zero which is about a thousand city blocks away. Or at least it seemed like it was. I had landed at LaGuardia Airport and wanted to see the Twin Towers sight before heading to see mom in New Jersey. It was sleeting, low 30s and blustery. I found myself strolling down the Avenue among business suited lawyers, politicians and … well businessmen.

I realize that New Yorkers couldn’t care less about a country hick with the blue Winnie the Pooh backpack slung over his shoulder (it was Abby’s and it was the only one we had at the time). But I felt very very alien. I was finally back in the States and I felt like complete stranger.

I am so very thankful that I won’t need to feel weird when I step on to Heaven’s Golden Avenue. First of all I won’t have that blooming backpack and second of all I won’t be an alien I’ll be a citizen! Imagine that.

Those highfalutin lawyer types won’t have anything on me. I’ll be dressed in my heavenly duds and I’ll have my head high. All because of what my Savior did on the cross. Jesus precious blood paid my way and His cross work earned my heavenly Green Card.

So as I walk around this dusty ball I must realize that here I really am a stranger. I’m passing through and soon to head home. My passport is in hand and my visa has already been stamped in Blood. The blood of my Lord. My citizenship is guaranteed.

May I see your documents please?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."