Skip to main content

Imitate the Bus Drivers!

In Brazil buses are everywhere. They are punctual, fairly cheap and always careful. If it weren't for buses most of Brazil would come to a standstill. Buses are like the country’s Internet. You can walk a few paces from your front door, catch a bus and literally traverse the country from North to South or East to West. It might take a few days to make such a monumental trip but it is possible. All because of buses.

Of course buses don't move by themselves. Each has its own driver. Sometimes there is a co-pilot when a prolonged trip is the goal. My worst experience on a bus was an overnighter where the driver kept slapping himself in the face to stay awake. It was a nightmare.

However, this article is not about nightmare bus rides. That will be for another time. This is a bus driver commendation. And a special tribute to the bus drives in our city, Sorocaba, São Paulo.

This 600,000 plus metropolis is a virtual knot of roads, avenues and highways. The city just celebrated its 358th birthday and with the name Sorocaba, which means, “torn earth” you can imagine that the streets here weren't created for large vehicles. Horses yes. Mules of course. People walking and bikes again yes and yes. Thirty-five foot buses? NEVER.

I am an impetuous driver. I always believe that the person in front of me is stealing my space. I think that everyone who passes me is trying to beat me to the next red light. If, heaven forbid, that person should blow through that light on the orange, they are indeed the worst of sinners. The person behind me always thinks me a bad guy. And so my imagination runs wild. I think of grenade launchers, heat seeking missiles and oil slick spitting tailpipes.

A recent bus ride changed my perspective. My wife didn't scream one time! Not once!! In fact after five hours on the bus she commented, “Our bus driver must be a very calm person. He drove slowly but steadily. It was such a nice ride.” I was astonished. Usually, with me at the wheel, I can't take a ten minute trip without at least one stifled scream.

Of course she wasn't comparing that unnamed bus driver with me. My wife doesn't do things like that. She was just making a comment. But it stuck.

It made me contemplate and wonder, “Are all of the bus drivers in Sorocaba believers? Are they all walking in Jesus’ footsteps? Or is it that they are all well instructed on the handling of their behemoth?”

There must be some believers for sure, however, I think that they are simply well instructed and obedient to that instruction. Maybe their job is at stake if they break the bus driver’s code. Or maybe it is the gravity of their responsibility and the number of souls in their charge each trip that keeps them from driving like “normal” people.

Whatever the case their example has touched me in a gentle but big way. I see their calm in the traffic tempest. I see them slowly approaching or advancing at a traffic light. I see them wave a friendly “thanks” when I let them get back into the flow ahead of me. I hear no screams or see no heart clutching as clients leave their big ride. Each observance brings this thought, “I don't know that guy but I like him!” That is a good thought.

So, my New Year’s resolution a few days early is to imitate the busdrivers. In doing so I will be a good testimony for my Savior. And I think that I will earn a few brownie points with my wife too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."