Skip to main content

Weeping Uncontrollably

A friend sent me the following email from a retired missionary lady. I had recently discovered that she was praying for our ministry, even though she had never received an update from us. I added her to my list without really knowing what this saint was doing.

As I read her letter, that she said she "just rattled off ... never expecting that it would be sent to others", I began to sob uncontrollably. Her prayer life had a tremendous impact on me. See if you can grasp what this jewel is embracing. She asked that I not mention her name. So, I didn't. But here is her letter.


Dear -----,
Sorry for the delay.  I got home Monday night but I had so much mail to go through, bills to pay etc. etc. I just now feel back to normal.
When you retire from a very active life on the field,  you feel as though you are not accomplishing anything meaningful and then after (my husband) went to be with the Lord, the day seemed very long.  He was the prayer warrior of the family.  He had thick folders of people's names that he prayed for.  When he didn't have the strength to lift them, I would bring the folders to him so that he could pray for hundreds and hundreds of people.  The Lord impressed upon me that I should take up the mantle and carry on his ministry and so each morning after breakfast I retire to my study and pray till almost noon.  Because (my husband) had contact with many Mission Organizations I continued receiving their literature and prayer requests.  I organized them all, numbered them by the days of the months or days of the week so that I could cover all the bases.  When the requests come in on Oct. 15 for Mid-Missions prayer day, I print them off and pray for each request until the next Oct. 15.  I pray daily for the candidates on deputation and I use the prayer request sheet that comes monthly from Mid-Missions.  I follow the list of missionaries that work in Brazil and I also have a list of missionaries under A.B.W.E., Continental Baptist, Baptist World etc.  I pray for the Hope Pregnancy Center here in our area, for the military chaplains, the President, the Supreme Court Justices, the Native American works, the Campus Bible Fellowships on many campuses and missionaries around the world many of whom send me their prayer letters.
I pray daily for my children, grandchildren and great grands, my siblings and their children.  I don't want one of them to be lost because I didn't pray for them.  Since I am a widow, I pray for each of our missionary widows that God will comfort them.  I pray for my Pastor and Pastors of the churches that still support me or in whose churches we worked in.  I pray for the ladies that I walk with in my mobile home park .  I am remembering the carnival retreats that will be held this coming weekend that many will make decisions for the Lord.  I pray for our Seminaries and all the young people that graduated that they will faithfully preach the Word.  I can't get out and do a lot because my driving is very limited and my walking is poor but I can pray and so that is my ministry  I look forward to my prayer time with the Lord each morning.  Sometimes I don't know if the request was answered but other times I do hear that God blessed and intervened and so I am thrilled that I had a part in praying. At night when I can't sleep, I often pray for those that have special needs until sleep overtakes me again. It is wonderful that we can come into His presence day or night with big or little requests and know that His ear is open to my cry and how often He answers very insignificant requests like the drawer at the bottom of the stove that was stuck shut at (my daughter's) house, because the pots had shifted and nothing we did would enable us to open it.  It wasn't anything major but added stress on the eve of our departure.  I prayed and then tried one more time and God answered.  Such a little request, but a big praise for such a faithful God.
I don't know if this is what you wanted, but this is what I do.  I feel as though I am a part of so many works and that brings me such joy and satisfaction.  I hope this helps.
Love and Prayers,
________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."