Skip to main content

Be Sober

Be Sober

Be sober. Don't be an idiot! Essentially, that is what Paul says in Romans 12:3. “You know the doctrine. You know about God's salvation. You know what He has done and is doing for you. That, however, does not give you the right to be an idiot!"

Just yesterday I was a bit of an idiot. How one can be a, “bit of an idiot” is anyone’s guess. However, I was.

At choir practice I noticed Herbert outside the church door. It was dark but I noticed that he was talking with an older gentleman. I figured that he was probably sharing his faith with the man so I let the conversation go for a while. Not wanting to butt into the Holy Spirit’s work.

After a few minutes I thought, “I need to go and introduce myself.” So, I did.

I met a man whose breath would have pickled your olfactory nerve! I mean this guy was: stoned, tipsys, bashed, crocked, to name a few. And Brother did he have a spiritual salad between his ears! It was amazing what this guy knew about God!

I have talked and listened to the drunk before. Generally it is better to mark another encounter with them. When they are in their right mind. So, I started our curbside meeting with a question, “Ademir, if you died tonight do you know that you would go to heaven?” Talk about a smooth entrance into conversation with a drunk and complete stranger.

His reaction was similar to that of the soldiers in the garden when they came to arrest Jesus. Remember? They were knocked over by Jesus’ reply. Ademir must have had a demon, because the moment after my question he sprinted about thirty feet down the road!

But he came back. He came back with a theology lesson that would have made Joseph Smith, Helen White and Jim Jones proud! It was a wonder of confusion.

At THAT moment, my flesh kicked in and I wanted to demonstrate MY humble understanding of the Scriptures. I want to let this hopeless loser have a spiritual shotgun full of buckshot right in the old pickled breath kisser.

It was THEN that I was doing what Paul says that we should NOT do. I was thinking pretty highly of myself. I KNEW the TRUTH and Ademir didn't! That was that! As far as I was concerned, the conversation was over.

I often kid about my poverty of mental aptitude, my big red nose or my lack of hair. I could go on and on. I kid. But deep down I think that I am a pretty smart cookie. And not bad looking too! Thus the old phrase, “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”, comes into play!

What is the solution for Thinking Highly about self? “Think(ing) soberly!” How appropriate to my evening conversation with Ademir. He was drunk. He was not in his right mind. Liquor was controlling his thought pattern. Though, I think that even sober, he probably has a salad theology.

Don't think highly think humbly. Believe that you are saved by grace. But NOT because you were WORTH all that was paid. You weren't. Nor was I. “Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe.” But why did He pay it? Because He was obeying the Father’s will. When we do the same, it will keep us humble. It will help us to think soberly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."