Skip to main content

I'm getting old

This is what I say when I forget something or have trouble walking on the sidewalk or forget someone's name. It is a funny way of saying that because of my age I kind of have the right to said faux pas. 

The real funny part of this saying is that when those two cells came together in my mother's womb, I was already getting old. When we are young it seems to take longer to realize how fast we are aging. When we're 18 the world seems a slight thing to conquer. We have strength we are pretty and there are so many options in front of us. 

In my day, college wasn't a big thing. Only the nerds went to college. I remember snickering to myself while thinking about my friend who was going to college to be a teacher. My reasoning was, "What a nut! Here I am making $3.25 an hour during the four years that he is in college PAYING money so that he can make three bucks an hour!" The wisdom of youth. 

But that was then, when I was young. I soon had a rude awakening. I realized on my first day of working at GM Truck and Coach that I had entered something of long-term duration. I was going to be in this thing called," the work force" for THIRTY YEARS! That, if I wanted to be able to retire and have the proverbial cabin up north or the place in Florida. 

However, Praise be to God my Savior, he changed my tragectory. He took me from the "ball and chain", that is often called the American dream and set me on a different course. It was one that he had in mind all along and it has been quite a journey. I am so grateful that he has let me be a part. 

Now here I am in that so long ago predicted future. Back then I looked through the time tunnel and saw my love and I serving God in church and playing with our grandchildren. 

In the here and now present the grand kids are far away and we miss being a part of their lives. That fact hasn't deminished our desire to be serving in church. We serve as we thought we might and we do have grand kids near us. They aren't our blood relatives but they are potential spiritual grand kids. 

My dad used to say that you are as young as you feel. He also said, "Mike, when people ask you about how you are doing, they don't want to hear an organic recital. Just say that you are fine and give them a smile!" 

With a spiritual perspective we can say with confidence what Isiah the prophet said many years ago, But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint (Isaiah 40:31). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."