Skip to main content

Missionary Writer Ramblings

I never liked English class. I got confused with pronouns and adverbs. I never memorized the lists and I got lost in the explanations. English is a hard language. Writing was never on my radar. I had no plans to write anything of value. None. Though I did think that writing my story would be cool. However, I also thought that it would be rather egotistical. 


Then I became a missionary. Missionaries are expected to write updates. Back in the day our mission told us that a supporting church wanted to receive at least one update every quarter. I had been on a missions committee and remembered getting loooooong updates, with fine print and fuzzy pictures. Ho hum. 


Anyway, we joined our mission in June of 1993, the very same year that email became a popular way of communicating. You remember email right? 


The old update method saw missionaries typing out multiple letters to multiple supporters, addressing multiple envelopes, sealing said envelopes, licking stamps and tossing the quarterly communications into the nearest mailbox. I got a cramp just writing that! 


Me, I thought, wait a minute, if email is fast and churches like quarterly communications, how much better would they like more notes? I mean, if hearing from a missionary is exciting, just imagine the jubilation of multiple communications! 


So I got my email list together and started writing when stuff happened. If it was once quarterly then so be it. But usually, for me, stuff happened more often. So I wrote short notes more often. 


I started getting comments like, "We love your updates. They seem so real." Or, "I can imagine you talking when I read your emails." Or, "You are so funny". One pastor friend even said, from his pulpit on Sunday morning, "I get so many updates from Mike, that I have labeled them 'spam'!" Then he chuckled as he looked at me with a wink. I could see his sarcasm. Oops! 


However, most comments were positive and the spam people didn't comment at all. So I was good with that. 


I remember one update that started me on my writing career. I had gotten a tad flowery in my wording that morning but decided to send the email anyway. A few hours later, a coworker sent me a note, "Mike, you are such a good writer! That update was an amazing blessing! Thank you." 


I was stunned and pleased. This friend, whom I considered a very articulate person, was complimenting me on my writing. Her comment was what I needed to begin focusing more on my content. I didn't want to sound fake or sickeningly verbose but I did like to sound like me. 


For some reason I thought that beginning an update with a long scripture verse was silly. Not that scripture is silly, it's just that it seemed like a way of making an update look "spiritual" and long when it was neither. But that is just my thought. 


My belief is that people either read or don't read according to how they see you or how they feel on a given day. If they read your notes, great! If not, great too. It's a free country. Politics aside. 


Just last night I came across an old blog that I started years ago. As I read through some of the posts, I cracked up and cried. It was fun to read what I had written so long ago and it was rewarding too. God has blessed me with the ability to communicate. I believe that it is an art form that can be developed with practice. I have written my life story in five volumes and published four books to date. The fifth is half done and I hope to publish that soon. 


So, where am I going with all of this? Nowhere in particular. These are just missionary writer ramblings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."