Skip to main content

Elma Sales Morais

A friend of mine died yesterday. How we met was rather strange. About five years ago I received a plea from a a woman in Fortaleza. It appeared on our church's Facebook page. "My son is in São Paulo and rented an apartment there. However, he was tricked into paying a lot of money for the apartment and in the end lost his money." This was the story. Could our church help him? 

I didn't believe a word of this strange plea and didn't respond for quite a while. Another plea came a while later and I finally decided that I would call this woman's son to see if the request for help was legit. 

Come to find out, it was! We ended up discovering a friend in the mentioned young man. He was a literal God send to our music program at Faith. He and his family have been faithful members for six years. 

Elma, the mom, became a great friend too. She was instrumental in editing my four historic fiction books about my family. "A Couple's Life" was published here in Brazil over four different years. Elma encouraged me a lot and did tireless work correcting errors of Portuguese. She never asked a dime for her labor of love and actually told me one time that my books had changed her life. 

She began to publish her own poetry and over the same time period saw four of her own books in print. The difference between her books and mine were that she knew how to sell hers. She sold hundreds of her works. While I still have a hundred or so left in my file cabinet. 

Elma was a cherished saint. She was a graduated Christian counselor but never let her super intelligence affect our friendship. I asked her once if she ever analyzed me during our conversations. She said, "just a little." and gave an embarrassed Facebook giggle. 

She was on my case in another way too. She always wanted to correct any supposed theological errors. She was an incredible speed reader and had read Calvin's Institutes a couple of times. THAT my friends is a huge multiple volume work. Not easy reading. 

I would spend an hour writing my 1000 word chapter for my book and she would read it in 30 seconds. Amazing. She could write poetry as easy as frying an egg. She wrote a commentary on Isaiah and had written a brief summary of every book of the Bible. 

Yet she was humble. In my fifth book I am going to include her testimony. She had shared it to be a part of that work. 

She had been in poor health for several years and just a day before she died she sent me a note saying, "I don't know if I am going to win the battle with this virus. So I just wanted to tell you thank you both for the love and care that you have shown to my family." 

Then she went into ICU, where many with the virus don't come out alive. Elma was one of the fatalities. However, she is now with her Savior. She spent her first Sunday in the heavenly realm. I believe that she might have looked for my mom and dad and told them how that we had written their story. But I think that she is still in the Lord Jesus' arms. It's only been two days and that isn't much time in Jesus' hug. 

The following is a translation of one of her poems. She hopes that you enjoy it. 

Right paths

I chose the path of happiness
The Eternal guides my steps
A path without shadows, only clarity
Tiled road through Love and Truth

In wanderings I contemplate the divine beauty
At dawn each morning, certainty
That there is nothing to prevent contentment
Even if there is pain at some point

I chose the path of loyalty
He who leads me is the Word of Truth
Christ is my sun and protective shield
My feet follow in the Lord's footsteps.

God does not write paper paths
His writing is with purified gold threads
He already wrote the end my story
In the future a life full of its glory

I walk following the heart of God
I don't trust my days to temporality
The best is kept in front of me
In a place where God is present.

Elma Sales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."