Skip to main content

Unibody

Unibody is a word very familiar in automotive circles. It came into existence as cars went from bodies on frames to bodies welded together with as the frame. Its advantages or disadvantages are still a subject of dispute. In Christian life, unibody is not an option. We are one body in Christ. But, what does that mean?

At salvation, we enter the spiritual body of Christ. In Romans 12:3 and 4, Paul speaks of this phenomenon, and in 1 Corinthians 12, he goes into more detail. In 1 Corinthians 12:13, Paul says that "... we were all baptized by one Spirit to form one body...".

My baptism came when I was nine. Pastor C. Frank Mills did the honors in an old galvanized tank that was part of the First Baptist Church of Lake Orion, Michigan. I wore a white gown and was baptized along with Gary Bartley. I had participated in at least a couple of "baptism classes." However, what happened that day in 1962 was not my unibody experience. That experience took place on October 30, 1960, at least according to the registry in my Father's Bible. I know because I read it there.

At seven, I "accepted" Jesus as my Savior. My mother's handwriting attested to the fact on the flyleaf of Dad's Bible. How much surer could one be than that? It was as if it had been written with a pen of iron on stone, as Job might have put it.

Years later, I would doubt that handwritten notation several times. I did remember Mrs. Florida Gilmore's Junior church lesson on Hell. I did remember raising my hand for salvation after that terrifying study. I did remember going to see her after the prayer. And I did remember that she never talked to me! I also remember that she and mom chatted briefly before mom and I left for home.

I vaguely remember the following Sunday. Mom and I stayed home because I was sick. I remember being on the couch in our living room at 66 East Burdick street. And I remember mom talking to me about Jesus.

What mom said or what I said that day are mysteries to me to this very day. However, I believe that it was that day that I became a part of the body of Christ. I think that it was that day that I put my seven-year-old trust in Jesus as my Savior.

As mentioned several times since then, I have "re-trusted" Christ as Savior. I have my reasons. I doubt that you, too, have not done the same. But, be that as it may, at that moment, on that morning, in 1960, I entered the unibody called the "body of Christ".

What happened at that moment was beyond my seven-year-old comprehension. What am I talking about? It was beyond my sixty-nearly-sixty-one-year-old comprehension! At that moment, I was baptized by the Holy Spirit of God into the spiritual body of Christ. I became a part of that sacred corpus.

Paul tells me that God sealed the "before the foundation of the world" (Eph 1:4). How that all works together, I do not know. I am so glad that I don't have to know all of the details of that welding process. I am in the unibody construction that was meant to be eternally strong. It is Christ's body. Whether a seven-year-old or an aged theologian is thinking about this event and process doesn't matter. Both sit and scratch their heads. Because it is one of the mysteries of Scripture, and it is a beautiful construction!

What do you think about this process? How were you welded into this body?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."