Skip to main content

Following Christ - no fun

1 Peter 2:21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
 
When we are called to be like Jesus or to follow him, we often don't think of the ramifications of that lifestyle. Peter, here in his short letter, spells it out in plain English. We are called to suffer for Christ and his cause. 

That doesn't sound very appealing to most. Called to have power, or wealth or a comfortable level of fame, that sounds more like what we think that we want. However, that is not what the Son of God came to achieve. 

He became somewhat famous because of the plethora of miracles that he did. He demonstrated his power by raising the dead walking on and calming the water and feeding the multitude. Wealth? He had nothing of earthly value his whole life. Though he was the creator of all. 

He did suffer, however. Isaiah says that he was despised and rejected more than any other man. That puts him at the top of the "rejected" chain just like Paul put himself at the top of the "worst sinner" category. There was none more despised than Jesus. 

Do you think that that caused suffering? That is to be our goal. Is that the life that you want? It was Paul that summarizes what needs to be our theme when he says, "... For me to live is Christ and to die, is gain." That is an ironic and incredible statement. To live is to suffer and to die is bliss forever more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hospitality is a gift. It can also be a learned trait. Some people seem as if having strangers in their homes is normal and natural. Others have to fight against themselves in order to have friends over for a meal.  The author of Hebrews says that some have entertained angels when they thought that they were helping a stranger. That's weird. This statement brings questions to mind. Do angels eat? Of course, silly, they eat angel food cake!  Seriously, who in the Bible entertained angels by accident? Well, how about Abraham, Lot or Jacob? Granted, Jacob's treatment of the Angel of the Lord was questionable. But he did wrestle the night away, when in fact that angel could have dislocated Jacob's hip early in the match.  Abraham, read Sarah, prepared a big meal and Lot had to offer ...

Daughter and dog...

About six months ago we discovered that Ann was pregnant and were very excited for she and Jackson. We will have babies on this side and that of the Atlantic. We weren't prepared for that news and we we were even less prepared for the news that our little dog is pregnant. To date we have spent more on the dog than on Annie (don't tell her... Ann that is). Ann has yet to discover whether her baby is a boy or girl. Both ultrasound images were inconclusive. Though I did some further investigation of my own and was startled with what I found. to me it looks as if the baby is definitely a boy and has some resemblance from both sides of the family. Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The Twenty Buck Challenge

Well I went and done it! That's bad grammar I know. But I done it anyway. We've been having a Bible study with Esmano and Genesie and their two kids Jennifer and Jadson, for about seven weeks now. This week Jennifer threw out a challenge. "Let's memorize a verse!" I thought that was a great idea. I told them that if they did memorize the verse that I would give them each an American coin. Esmano, their dad usually sits in on the study but he hasn't really been a part of it. When I mentioned the coin idea his eyes lit up a little. I then reached into my wallet and said, "If YOU memorize that verse I'll give you $20 bucks! His eyes really lit up then! Was it a good idea? I doubt it. No one has ever offered me money for memorizing verses. However, this will be the first verse that this man has ever memorized. If he does it. It is not a conventional way of doing memory work and it could cost me a bill for nothing. But if God uses this simple chall...