Skip to main content

Was I just a part of something really important?

Have you ever been in such a sitution? This will date me but I remember my teacher walking into class to announce the president Kennedy had just been shot (I was very very young). I can still feel the tingle when I heard president George Bush (the first) draw his imaginary line in the desert sands. I remember hearing the news and then seeing the destruction on 9/11.

In each of those I knew that I had witnessed something really important in our history.

On Saturday, I think that I was a part of something really important in the history of Hope Baptist Church. Carlinhos had abruptly announced in Sunday school the week before that we were going to start a kid's club on Saturday (news to me)! The kids had responded postively. But kids have short memories (unless you've promised them a raise in their allowance or to pay for their college education). Anyway, the week went on and Saturday loomed. I wondered if we would have anyone come. I had mentioned it to several kids during the week and even had one of our students ask me if it was going to happen.

Saturday, I called Carlinhos to see how plans were going and he said, "I want you to do it" Pause... If there was one thing that I learned on deputation it was to be flexible. So, as I picked my jaw off the floor at 20 minutes to two I began to scramble a bit.

I had actually been planning a bit for the worst case senario. So, I had an outline of things that I wanted to do at our first "club" meeting. I reached for a bag of trusty balloons, some balls, and beanbags, but as I did I heard kids playing out in front of our house.

I ran down to invite them to come to club and a funny thing happened. "You'd have to ask our mother because we really don't know you...!"

You will have to understand a bit of culture here. It is usually very easy to get kids to come to anything. I have often said to Dawn, "Can you imagine letting Abby go with a couple we don't know, who talk really funny and are going to some type of religious meeting?" But, they've come... and in droves! This time was different, a good different.

I had to leave so I sent the kids to ask their mother for me. At five to two I was out the door.

I got to church and noticed the little rascals next door all hanging from the fence. They wanted to come to club but, "Our mother will definitely not let us! She is having one of her attacks!" That was Marcia's assessment of why they wouldn't be able to come to club.

So, I looked to heaven and prayed right there in front of all the kids, "Father, please help Mom to let the kids come to club today." As I looked down again all eyes were fixed on me. I said, "who is the favorite?" "THADEU" they all shouted! "Thadeu, go ask your mom if you can come to club today." OTey (he has a bad lisp). In just a minute Mom had recovered from her crisis and came to the porch. "They can go as far as I'm concerned. BUT, if they break anything at the church it will be your responsibility! Understood?!" Understood!

About that time Annie and Gabriel came walking up with the three kids I had invited from next door! We now had NINE. The club went fast but well. We had fun and I was able to share the Gospel with eight unsaved kids. Keep praying!

I will have pictures next time I come to update the blog.

Comments

  1. It's funny to see how God works huh? I was pretty discouraged last saturday, while going to our bible club in Pacaembu. But then I though: I need to put my "ego" aside and do what God wants me to do.
    We had only 4 kids, but then, at the end of the lesson, one of them asked: how can I be sure I have accepted Jesus? Then I talked to her, and explained all the gospel, and she prayed accepting Jesus as Savior. In Portuguese we use to say that God "quebra nossas pernas" and makes us see things that He can do through our lives, even if we are just sinners. Let's keep doing his will, and making Jesus known, once he has strengthened us and supplied our needs. Praised be the Lord.
    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible." 

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin