Skip to main content

My Losers God’s Leaders

and such were some of you (1 Corinthians 6.11)

I was just getting to the good part of the story yesterday when I ran out of space. So, let’s look again. Do you tend to judge people by their appearance and your expectations? If you do be warned, you are wrong! Look what happened to me.

One time I was at the church in the middle of a construction project. My Brazilian coworker and I were working on something that was of "the utmost importance" at the moment. As I stood there giving some instructions into the room walked a "beggar man" and his, pierced ear, slob of a son. Of all the gall! I mean, these guys didn't wait at the gate like "normal" beggars. They actually opened that gate and walked right into the church and began peddling their wares to my coworker. The dad had an arm-load of whatever he was selling. This guy was clearly a looser. His five-o-clock shadow was grungy. His eyes bloodshot and his breath... well I didn't get THAT close. His son had a disinterested look on his fat teenage face. And his earring screamed LOSER!!

My words were not missionary like. They were "Jewell" like. I can't remember exactly what I said but it went something like this.
"We don't want whatever it is you are selling so, GOOD BYE!" My friend looked at me with mouth agape and quickly took me aside. "This man is looking for a church home! He is new to the area and ..." this was the killer, "...he is a BELIEVER!"

An acrid taste crept up my throat and stung the back of my wagging tongue. I saw stars as I realized what had just happened. So very easily I had looked my brother in the eyes and had judged by his appearance that he was beyond all hope of God's saving Grace. He was the utmost of losers, beyond Salvation.

Today, eight or so years later, my hopeless friend, now a deacon in the church where I worked, laugh about that first encounter. That meeting was a stinging rebuke. It was one of those, "Wanna get away?" moments that marked my life. It was a practical lesson in ministry. My losers can be, and maybe already are, God's leaders.

As you think about this new day, about where you will go and who you will meet think about this. Who have you put beyond the grasp of God's grace? Is it that person behind the bullet-proof glass at the gas station? Or how about the convenience store employee who fetches your over-sized coffee or the person at the grocery story who helps you find the Coco Puffs? Is it the receptionist at the office or the person who works across the line? "They haven't got a snowballs chance in ...." Well you get my meaning. You've already condemned them to eternity's abyss. But has God?

Before you open your missionary mouth and say something you will regret do something that I have since learned to do. Look at that person as a transformed believer. You might have to mentally cut his hair, remove some of her makeup or give her a longer skirt and a tighter neck-line. You just might need to give them a mental bath or a shot of Scope. You may even need to mentally extract that little chrome ball in the middle of their tongue. However, if you can do this you might just see what Paul saw and what God sees. The Redeemed! You might even be looking at a future, dare I say it, Missionary! What do you think? See any losers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caught up to Paradise - 2 Corinthians 12

Residing in Michigan for over half my life, I had heard about Paradise. Because Paradise is a small town in the Upper Peninsula, you may have never visited there in your life, but you knew it existed. It was WAY up there next to Tahquamenon Falls and nothing else. Where's Tahquamenon Falls? Next to Paradise and nothing else. It's a long way from home.  Why all of the talk about Paradise? Because Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians 12. There was this guy who had been caught up to Paradise. Not in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but into the REAL Paradise. While there, he'd heard things that he was unable to repeat. What on earth was this? Who was this guy? Here's what was going on. Paul defended his position of Apostleship in chapter eleven and gave the Corinthians an idea of what Apostleship looked like in chapter twelve. It came with great wonders, like seeing or instead hearing unimaginable things. But, too, that position came with a terrible cost. God gave Paul a &q

What to get God for Christmas

Jesus left perfect surroundings, relationships and glory to be born into squalor. He was homeless before birth. His father was a carpenter in a culture where carpentry was a despised trade. His, mother though young and giving birth to her firstborn, had no attendant nurses, helpers or friends. Rather than a pristine hospital, birth was given in the filthy stench of a stable. Romantic? Hardly. This sacrifice brought a life of hardship. Why? Why this odd story? Obedience. God's gift to humanity was His son. Jesus' gift was obedience to the Father. He paid the greatest price. Not because we are special but because he loves His Father. His gift was the perfect gift. Our Father wants obedience for Christmas and every other day for that matter. In Brazil Christmas is becoming commercialized. A phenomenon familiar for years in the United States tickles a growing economy. There is little time for meditation on God's Gift. There are no chestnuts roasting or Jack Frost nippin

Stop Trusting

Isaiah 2:22 says Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? The Prophet is saying that we shouldn't put our trust in humankind because they are so finite. They are not like God, who is infinite. People are fickle. They change their minds. They love you and then hate you in moments.  God invites us to trust him completely with everything that we have. He doesn't show himself to us physically or as a spirit. He demands that we have faith. However, he also gives us the faith to trust him.  The universe shouts "Creator!" and yet we often ignore the proclamation. This ignorance does not make God's creation any less a physical demonstration of his grandeur. God's boundless being becomes more amazing in his presence within us. How can the infinite God dwell in the mortals he commands us not to trust?  Jesus said, "with man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible."